Private sector workers today are the modern day equivalents of the serfs who suffered in medieval times. We watch our tax dollars going to pay for the lavish salaries of public sector workers who are paid twice what similar workers in the private sector receive for comparable duties. These latter-day lords pay nothing or next to nothing for their health insurance and little or nothing towards their own pensions and yet they expect this luxuriant publicly financed gravy train that they’ve been riding, to keep on rolling even when the state that pays them is on the verge of bankruptcy.
The root cause of this egregiously unjust inequality is the unholy marriage between Democrats and Unions. You don’t need me to tell you that the teachers in Wisconsin are completely in the wrong. There are hundreds of pundits who’ve already explored the lavish salaries of teachers and their even more lavish benefits. What interests me is the unique and diabolical partnership between the Democratic Party and these public sector unions.
We've seen this week, how the Democrats are standing behind their labor union pals and pushing back against the move to limit the power of the teacher unions in Wisconsin. The backing of labor unions by Democrats is nothing if not self-serving. After all, who do you suppose labor unions back?
- The AFL-CIO, whose president Richard Trumka is orchestrating much of the protests in Madison this week, donated $1.2 million to Democrats in 2008 and $900,000 in 2010.
- The American Federation of State, County and Municipal employees donated $2.6 million to the Democrats in 2008 and another $2.6 million in 2010.
- The National Education Association donated $2.3 million to Democrats in 2008 and $2.2 million in 2010.
- The Teamsters union donated $2.4 million to Democrats in 2008 and $2.3 million in 2010.
- The SEIU donated $2.6 million to Democrats in 2008 and $1.7 million in 2010.
- The Carpenters and Joiners union donated $2 million to Democrats in 2008 and $2.1 million 2010.
- The Laborers union donated $2.6 million to Democrats in 2008 and $2.2 million in 2010.
- The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers donated $3.8 million to Democrats in 2008 and $3.2 million in 2010.
- The American Federation of Teachers donated $2.8 million to Democrats in 2008 and $2.7 million in 2010.
- The Machinists and Aerospace union donated $2.5 million to Democrats in 2008 and $2.1 million in 2010.
- The Communication Workers of America, which includes employees from several television and radio stations and other publishing platforms, donated $2.2 million to Democrats in 2008 and $2.1 million in 2010.
- The United Autoworkers union (UAW) donated $2.1 million to Democrats in 2008 and $1.5 million in 2010.
- The United Food and Commercial Workers union (UFCW) donated $2.1 million to Democrats in 2008 and $1.9 million in 2010.
If you wonder why America's bloated bureaucracy keeps getting bigger and bigger, it's because the labor unions have systematically colluded with the Democrats in the most shamelessly dishonest way possible, to enact laws which have made all the participants: labor unions, government workers, and Democrat lawmakers, rich and powerful. And who ultimately pays for this? A bunch of serfs in the private sector.